Tuesday, March 17, 2015

60 - Steve Jobs turned down Tim Cook's offer to donate his liver for a transplant.

In January 2009--a little less than three years before his death in October 2011--Jobs announced that he would take a six-month leave of absence to focus on fighting off the pancreatic cancer that had ravaged his body. He needed a liver transplant, but this was complicated by the fact that he had a rare blood type. As it turned out, current Apple CEO Tim Cook has the same rare blood type, and he offered to give Jobs a part of his own liver to save his life. According to Cook, Jobs refused. Said Cook, "He cut me off at the legs, almost before the words were out of my mouth. No, I'll never let you do that. I'll never do that." Cook continued, "Steve only yelled at me four or five times during the 13 years I knew him, and this was one of them."